2018 NZ Go Championship
First Kevin Liu, 5 wins
2nd= Tony Li, Su Cheng, Longyang Li, 4 wins
Fifth= Juhau Zhou, Jack Yao, 3.5 wins
7th= Graeme Parmenter, Cheng Bo, Colin Grierson, Hanping Li, Wan Xin Zhou
Details and Registration Form
Date: 14th and 15th July 2018
Venue: 179 Avenue Road
$25 for people earning an income and registered in advance.
$20 for people not earning an income and registered in advance.
$30 and $25 for people who do not register in advance.
There will be separate Dan and Kyu sections unless the number of entries is not sufficient, in which case there will be a single tournament using a McMahon draw to keep Dan and Kyu players separate for the first two rounds.
If there is a separate Kyu section there will be an even game tournament for Kyu players on Saturday and a handicap tournament for Kyu players on Sunday. The number of rounds and timetable will depend on the number of entries. There will be prizes for both Kyu tournaments.
The Dan, or combined, section will have a single tournament with 3 rounds on Saturday and 3 on Sunday.
- A Swiss or McMahon draw will be used.
- No two players will meet more than once.
- Players on the same score will be matched in each round as far as this is possible.
- Players from different cities will be matches where possible.
New Zealand rules will be used.
‘Fisher’ time control will be used. Each player will start with 20 minutes and will gain an additional 20 seconds after each move they make.
- We are using Fisher time control because:
- It is more forgiving when you run short of time (you can play a few fast moves and get some time back)
- It does not have the abrupt change of conditions that happens now when you go into byo-yomi.
- It stops people from taking longer than the time scheduled for a round, which can happen with our traditional time controls.
- We have used Fisher time control in two Auckland tournaments, it worked well and people liked it.
- Most games have about 250 moves, 125 each. So each player will have 20 minutes plus 125 x 20 seconds - 62 minutes in total.
On Saturday please arrive before 8:45 so we have time to complete registration and make the draw.
09:15 - 11:30 Round 1
11:30 - 12:15 Lunch
12:15 - 14:30 Round 2
14:30 - 16:45 Round 3
17:00 - 18:00 New Zealand Go Society AGM
Dinner and party
08:30 - 10:45 Round 4
10:45 - 13:00 Round 5
13:00 - 13:30 Lunch
13:30 - 15:45 Round 4
16:00 - 17:00 Prizegiving
A social party will be held on Saturday night.
People coming from outside of Napier are invited to stay with local players. Please let us know well in advance if you want to do this.
If you cannot get John
Please use the form below to register and send it by email to both John Chen and Colin Grierson.
I hope to meet (beat) you at the tournament, Sincerely John Chen
Please tell us a bit about yourself…
Your name: _____________________________________________
Your playing strength: _______
Your contact details:
- email: __________________________________
- Phone numbers: ______________
- Address: _______________________________________________________
Are you a NZ citizen? __
(We need to know this when inviting people to represent NZ in international tournaments)
If you are not a NZ citizen, do you have "Permanent Residence"? __
(You need at least PR to qualify for accumulating points towards representing NZ)
Do you want to be part of the New Zealand Go Society? __
(There is currently no fee for this.)
Do you want to receive email from the New Zealand Go Society about coming events and anything else relevant to the New Zealand Go community? __
Please add any comments or suggestions you have regarding this tournament and Go activity in New Zealand